Sunday, September 14, 2008

A race against time

Since the Olympics just finished, I think this title is appropriate. So many of the events are a race against the clock. I'm in a race against the clock, not for a gold medal, but for my life! If you don't believe it check out this article http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080808/ap_on_sc/sci_stem_cells_diseases_4 specifically click on the diagram. It demonstrates the process specifically for ALS.

Health Update


I'm losing weight (I'm back to my college water polo weight, but it’s just distributed slightly differently). I wrote this before I paid a visit to the doctor and I actually gained 5 pounds back! My neck is losing strength. My right arm is losing strength so I'm practicing with my chin mounted joystick. I only have one bloody knee from slamming into my desk. I'm having to take more calories through my tube because eating takes a long, long time. Bottom line, the disease is progressing just because that's what it does!
The good news is that my breathing is stable!

Vacation!

Our family usually goes to the beach for a week every summer. Last year I had my lightweight wheelchair and the rental unit was able to accomodate it. This year I couldn't go but wanted my kids to enjoy the tradition. So they went there and my mom, dad and I went on a Disney cruise! 7 days to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerta Vallarta. We had a great time, but missed the tradition of being with my family.

Rap, Ditty, Poem... Oh hell, whatever you want to call it.

Check it out.

That F***ing Disease

I’ve wrote many an Ode, Rap and many a ditty,
But never one about a disease so, so shitty.

I got this rare disease, named after Lou
And now I can hardly swallow or chew.

I can’t walk, use my arms or even scratch an itch
Mom never told me life would be such a bitch

But there’s humor to be found, whatever state you’re in
So humor here it goes, let the ditty begin

I can’t choke the chicken, I can’t grind rind
The benefit of which … at least I won’t go blind.

I can’t wipe my ass, my parents have that chore
Butt somehow they keep… coming back for more.

Everyone pitches in, to make us stuff to eat
We appreciate it all, even the mystery meat

My parents get groggy, put shoes on the wrong feet
They spill shit all over me, not dad, but yes Deet.

My mind is still intact, my body is failing
At least I don’t have to carry Dad home after sailing.

But I still have hope for stem cells, genes and stuff
As long as the FDA isn’t involved, it may come fast enough

I hang from ceiling, like a flying trapeze
All while my nuts are flappin’ in the breeze

My neck is so sore, I can’t write for long
The medicine ain’t workin’, maybe a hit off the bong?

I very much appreciate the loving care of mom and dad
Except for dad’s farts smell really, really bad

I drool on my shirts, I could use a drool bucket
But I don’t do the laundry, so drool away, f*** it!

ALS may have taken away my bodily condition
But just read the above, I haven’t lost my cognition



A few recently published articles about me

http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2008summer/breath_of_hope.html

http://webba.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BA_I_am_lou_darren_dent.

Cheers!

DD NSL (Never Stop Laughing!

5 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Duck said...

Darren,

I recently heard of your illness and have read your Breath of Hope Stanford article. My heart is with you and your family. I will be praying, for you, and for a cure for ALS. I know I'm probably not alone, but I think you are an inspiration and a hero! Keep up the blogging!!!!

Elizabeth Moorehead (formerly Duck)
educk77@mac.com

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Thompsen Matriarch said...

Darren - I met you at the funeral service of George Shearer. I am the sister-in-law of Ann Shearer. I was so glad to meet you after hearing about you for a long time. I know George was please to have you at the service.

I am a long time admirer of your mom. I met her at Ann's house a few years ago. She came to give comfort and advice while Ann and I were caring for Ann's mom and whil Ann had knee surgeries.

I think about you and your family every day and send my prayers and best thoughts your way. Like other Mormon friends of yours I enter your name at the Seattle Temple near where I live so that you may have benefit of blessings and prayers from Mormons everywhere.

I enjoyed your rap. You certainly pull no punches with that one. With your permission I would send it to my children who are scattered across the US just now. I would like them to see a real fighter in operation.

I'm so glad Ann sent your blog to us. Love, Helen Thompsen

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger jess guymon said...

Darren,

I dont even know if you Know who I am, but I have know you and your family sence the eighty's through the Patterson's. The Dent's and the Patterson's have always been the life of the party and that was a good thing. Jean and Vance, Brent and Brian are always letting us know how you are doing. you and the love of your family has left a great impression on all of us you have come in contact with. I know as a tile setter there is not much I can do but be a freind, but my wife and I would like to help so if you would like some one new to help wipe your a--[that would be my wife I would be the one with the better smelling fart's]we are here for you and your family. Thank you for your time you spend on this page you are a great man.

love the Guymon's

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Ben Yomtoob said...

Hello Double D!

Love the rap. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day and your courage never fails to impress me.

Don't stop laughing.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger PTownFan said...

Darren, I've just finished reading your entire blog and laughed til I cried at your comment about having the surgery at Stanford and being cut open with an axe. Classic Darren Dent. You and your extraordinary family are "one of a kind". No single word in the dictionary is powerful enough to describe your approach to the cards you've been dealt. If YOU can keep all of US laughing as you narrate this "F***ing Disease", the least I can do is resolve "Not To Judge" per your June, '07 post. The Old Dog/New Trick thing won't be easy, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Meanwhile, have Kelli make you some Dynamite Sauce. I swear... the stuff is good for a 3:1 weight gain. How does that work??? It's been at least 15 years since I've had some and I'm still trying to work it off!

XOXOX from the whole Sullivan Clan.

Tanya Sullivan
Petaluma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home